Simple rules to follow when working with people
Recently I was at a meeting, was in the role of a client. They sold me telephony. But this is not the main thing. A large company, a solid history, excellent marketing of everything and everything. Expected impeccable execution of the sale. Was in anticipation. A nice girl came to the meeting, who immediately took the bull by the horns. For 10 minutes I listened to a continuous talk about what I buy, why I should buy, what benefits I will get, and so on. In 10 minutes I did not insert a single word. In 10 minutes I almost fell asleep. The speech was thorough, substantial, but practically nothing remained in the head. Only a small pile of promotional materials remained, and the aroma of excellent perfumes. As a point there was a question: “Take it?” …
Still, I want to recall some sales rules. Simple rules to follow when working with people. These rules are relevant for management.
1. Question-answer is the preferred form of negotiations in 99% of cases. In this case, questions should be both on your part and on the part of the client. Having questions is a clear sign of interest.
2. Any statement must be confirmed by feedback. I understood – did not understand – accepted – did not accept. And preferably not for a tick (with a nod of the head), but with a reasonable speech for 1-2 paragraphs of 3-5 sentences.
3. Is it possible to write, draw your statements? Write, draw. Visualization enhances the effect. Medical stress is unacceptable. Write so that you can read. In most cases, what is written remains with the client and the client reads what you wrote.
4. The ideal proportion is 50 to 50. The number of words spoken on either side should be the same.
5. The most important statements must be spoken several times. This ensures that what is said is heard.
6. High-quality promotional materials greatly enhance what has been said. Less long texts. More abstracts, graphics, statements.
7. Information is better absorbed in comfortable conditions. Personally, I love two options: a negotiation table and a walk (for some reason, on the go, it’s easier for me to discuss serious issues).
8. Insulation. In order for negotiations to be as successful as possible, it is necessary to exclude the possibility of distractions as much as possible (turn off the sound on the phone, close the door with the key, ask colleagues not to disturb, etc.).
9. You must have several options for conversation: short, medium and long options. How much time will the client give you, we are fulfilling this option of the meeting. From experience, I can say that this relieves stress (I mean a previously thought-out scenario).
10. If you are negotiating in the client’s office, try to distract the client from current affairs. I usually suggest that the customer look at the product information book. While the client flips through, I tell. Conveniently.
11. If the client is distracted by a working routine, it is best to transfer the important dialogue to another day. It is necessary to achieve maximum concentration.
12. Summarize the conversation. Closely affirm all the key points that were discussed during the meeting.
13. Learn to put an end to the conversation. Do not stretch the ending. Either got up and left (if this is not the final meeting), or formulated the exact question: “Everyone discussed. They all talked. What is the final decision? ”
14. If new participants join the conversation, then always bring them up to date with a brief summary of what has been said. “Let me bring you up to date. We are now discussing this and that … “.
15. Negotiations are not dates. Eliminate bright colors in clothes. But, if the meeting implies pressure, then you should always remember about “combat” colors.
16. “Thus,” “so to speak,” “necessary,” “in any case,” “surely,” limit the number of mentions of these words in your speech. This is the speech “garbage” that “cuts” the hearing.
17. Remember the pauses between words. She must be. Do not rush to express your thought. From the fact that you try to “push” maximum information in a short time interval, there will be no benefit. Only measured speech, at intervals. Even if you are rushed. The amount of what is learned does not depend on the amount of what is said.
18. Passion. You must speak convincingly, and for this you must believe in what you are saying. The seller’s passion can sell more than the product itself. There should be lights in the eyes (devils or angels? – not important).
Observation from practice No. 1: Most of the meetings I spend in the mode “without humor and laughter”. This distracts from the topic of conversation. Constructive conversation implies reflection. Emotions distract from reasoning.
Observation from practice No. 2: The numbers help to keep the conversation in good shape. The more numbers in a conversation, the better. Fact.